Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Similar to Owl, I think this DB post required the most independent research on my part. Again like Owl, I feel that Quinn should have provided some sort of background information prior to discussing stories of Christianity.
In fact, I had to take the time to have one of my friends, who is well-endowed in biblical studies, explain the story of Genesis. From what I took from this, Quinn critiques the anthropocentric tendencies of the Bible and other Christian texts. These tales attempt to establish rule and order under god’s presence. God tests his followers in order to assert disciple. An example of this that as “I think the way most people understand it, the gods wanted to test Adam’s obedience by forbidding him something, and it didn’t much matter what is was” (180). The gods forbid the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in fear that the fruit may also nourish man and thusly, empower their disciples. In addition to abiding by god’s order, Quinn explains that we justify our “ruling” of the world. Quinn says, “I’ve told you that the Takers have it, and that makes sense doesn’t it?” (156). Comparing both Christian literature and the Taker/Leaver Theory provides us with understanding of the root cause of anthropocentricism. These “laws” justified the original exploration and further cultivation of land.


            As Quinn criticizes themes of authority and order in the world of the Taker and similarly in Genesis, I don’t think he adequately presents an ideal alternative, or in this case, the Leaver philosophy. I too agree, that religion often arbitrarily dictates the lives of its followers, but I think it’s Quinn’s responsibility to necessarily present how one should live, but how one can reject Semitic philosophy and embrace the “primitive” lifestyle. I do applaud Quinn when Ishmael offers advice to prevent further escalation. Ishmael metaphorically explains that the story of Genesis must be undone. He says that “You must absolutely and forever relinquish the idea that you know who should live and who should die”

No comments:

Post a Comment