Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Project 2


Through the Eyes of a Fox
A fox is depicted on a tribal totem pole.
[1]It’s always a difficult question to answer, “Who Are You?” I am a daughter. A sister. A freshman. An avid “Gossip Girl” fan. I think I’m a good friend? The question itself seemed so arbitrary and open-ended. For most of my life, I tried looking for the answer, rather than just having the answers just come to me. Upon tackling this assignment, the thought of truly “defining” myself was quite a stressful encounter. After all, in high school essays and paperwork simply consisted of literary analyses and shallow class discussions. We were never asked to such questions regarding our personal identities or embrace any sort of experiential learning. And then, the opportunity to do exactly so presented itself through the search for a Spirit Animal and our Road Map projects.  Admittedly, there was an original lack of enthusiasm towards this project. Did I really want to know who I was? But after diving into the literature in alignment with searching for my personal identities, I knew I was more than willing to begin the journey.  Sitting in the PCL, I tried to find the most isolated corner of the floor, in hopes to rid my self from any distractions.  Immediately as the beat of the shamanic drums during the Guided Imagery flood my ears, the soul searching for spiritual direction begins. Immediately, the thought of an evasive yet enticing animal comes to mind. More than just an assignment, the search for a totem animal is quite a powerful exploration as it carries the “capacity to awaken within the deep authenticity that they possess within themselves” [2]. Through several meditative trials and epiphanic contemplation, I have found consolation in The Fox. Diverse, observant, and adaptive- I am a fox, and the fox is me.
During our induced state of mediation, I fulfilled a new role of appreciation towards nature and the environment.  This form of coexistence is seen at which “humanity recognize[s] itself as part of nature, and nature as part of itself”[3]. Prior to this assignment, the idea of a spirit totem sounded quite perplexing. We are often quick to assume that guidance and companionship is a sign of weakness. But now, the search for a spiritual cohort has become an empowering experience.  Through the discovery of my spirit animal, I have discovered a new appreciation for the world outside of the materialistic realm. What has intrigued me the most is the deeper relationship and bond one can form with nature and the earth, specifically through a spirit animal. To live in such Biocentrism has become a new personal aspiration of mine. In our ever-progressive society, the spiritual value of this earth has become forgotten and “we are often too busy to connect with our deeper selves”[4]. But through our spirit animals, and what Professor Bump notes as ‘Experiential Learning’, we are able to connect with who we are in relation to our roles as leaders in this world. A Native American proverb says, “Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.” While perusing a few websites about spirit animals, I found this quote most     captivating. We have always believed that we are the superior species. In contrast to this notion of thought, Native American intellect and philosophy believe that we are in fact a unified force. Although the primary intent of finding a totem animal was not to engage in environmental politics and axiology, it still calls to critique our actions as citizens to this earth.  Humans consume, pollute, and occupy the greatest portions of today’s earth. We search for answers concerning our human liberties, human rights, human duties and human liberties.  Rarely do we disengage in the utilitarian implications of our obligations and simply become a part of the Natural World. This can be accomplished through the discovery and accompaniment of a spirit animal. While scanning the pages of our anthology, I found Ted Andrew’s thoughts on the power of animal-speak most riveting. Andrews says, “I am part of the natural world. As part of it, I have a responsibility to know as much about the environment in which I am living. The more I understand it, the more I understand myself…I am simply trying to speak the language of my life.”[5]. Without any previous knowledge of Andrew’s philosophy, I too saw the value of the spirit animal through his exact perspective. We are all part of this world, and it is our duty to make a better understanding of our role as individuals.  The spirit world “shows us the potentials we can unfold. But to learn from them, we must first learn to speak with them.” [6]
Ninetales, the Pokemon creature, is known for her mystical powers. 
Totemism, is the supposed entity which guides an individual, family, group or clan. In some Native American cultures, it is said an individual embarks on what is known as the Earth Walk. During this endeavor, we are faced with seven directions surrounding the physical body.  The role of the totem animal is to guide us through   each direction and teach the lessons of our individual paths. Creating a new path for myself, whether it be the journey to pursue my collegiate aspirations or the larger voyage of life, I know believe there is an inner spirit offering counsel, and guidance. These lessons seem to be inclusive to finding strength, talent, vision and purpose in life. Professor Bump has always expressed the best form of learning is through discovery and inquiry-based knowledge. Through our search for a spirit animal, “we learn to speak with the animals, to listen with animals ears and to see through animal eyes, we experience the phenomena, the power and the potential of human essence, and it is then that the animals are no longer our subordinates.” [8]
According to shamanic philosophy, the presence of a tutelary spirit invokes power to resist the evil forces of the world. In order to experience such powerful guidance, shamans believe one must embark on a personal journey to retrieve their unique spirit animal. My earliest association of a fox that I can remember is during my early childhood being an ardent Pokémon fan and game player. My favorite character, Ninetales, was a ruby-red eyed fox that was said to have the power of mind control on its enemies.  Ever since then, I have always associated the fox with the power of mystique and prowess.
Although I have yet to have a physical encounter with the fox, our journey was through the spiritual sense. However, as fluid and simple as this process may sound, the search for my spiritual guide was no easy quest. It took several trials of mediation and time for reflection to fully discover who I was before finding who would guide me. In fact, I considered a whole jungle of animals before truly finding comfort in the fox. In time, I found the fox to be most compatible with my life journey and guide for my lifelong voyage.
It seems as though the spiritual presence of the fox is awakening in many cultures of the world. In fact, there are twenty-one species of fox spread throughout the earth’s various climates.From the tropical seashores to the arctic mountain range, the fox is quite omnipresent in the world’s cultures. The totem represents a symbol of ingenuity and “shape shifting”.  One of the most personified creatures in the world, the fox was believed to sometimes take human form. In an ancient Chinese tale, a fox takes transformation into a human who then faces the decision on its one-hundredth birthday to become either a wizard or a beautiful maiden who acquires the ability to destroy any man who falls in love with her. The tale is a beautiful example of how cultures around the world express their admiration for the clever fox. Through the mythical tales and historic literature, the fox has manifested into a creature of special powers and magical energy.  A creature of the night, the fox is believed to hold powers of the supernatural. Furthermore, the fox totem supposedly serves as a guide in the faerie realms. This is most likely derived from her tricky and enigmatic nature. Elsewhere in Persia, society holds the fox to be a sacred representation as a token to ascend towards heaven. Often, the fox is believed to reward those at the gates of heaven who have done great service to the higher spirits.  As culturally significant as the fox may be, I chose her for the unique attraction towards charm and mystique.
            From my understanding, the fox exudes a level of witticism and quick wit distinct from any other creature. In the Celtic tradition, the fox is symbolized as the guide to the heavens and is honored for its wisdom. The fox understands the woods in an intimate sense and is fully aware of her surroundings. Similarly in metaphorical terms, the fox is believed to be the guide in the spiritual world-- all knowing and fully aware. Quite evident, the fox plays a heavy role in the culture of societies of the world. After all, she represents everything that is “subversive and revolutionary”[9]. But I found the most console in her personal characteristics as an animal.
The arctic fox adapts to the white tundra. 
Although I do not necessarily possess all of the personal traits of my counterpart, I’d like to think I may eventually inherent her most revering qualities. She is observant, transformative, and quite gentle. But it is our differences that gravitated me towards the fox. She is now a figure that I hope to emulate introspectively. The fox survives primarily because of her adaptability and cleverness. In fact, the arctic adapts to harsh living conditions by regulating “blood flow in [her] legs, keeping them just warm enough to prevent frostbite while preserving precious
body head for the brain and vital organs” [11]. Rather than resisting the change, she is flexible, yet, she does not conform the imposed authority or restrictions of her world. In fact, the fox breaks down her social prejudices.  She is also the epitome of feminine power.
Catching a glimpse of a fox in the wild is quite the rare treat, primarily because of her ability to effectively blend into her habitat. The fox is known to be a keen observer, always watchful of others nearby. The fox offers the lesson of always steering clear of unnecessary complication and controversy in her environment.  The most meaningful quality from the fox is probably her astute and keen ability to adapt to all situations and her surroundings. Admittedly a weakness of mine, flexibility in terms of social situations in life has found to be a difficulty of mine. The most important assistance a totem animal can offer is the great ability to overcome adversaries in one’s life. This is clearly an inherent instance where my spiritual animal has been able to provide such guidance.  Literature also points to the fox as a master in the ability to camouflage in most situations of the wild.  The art of elusiveness is another feature I found most appealing in the fox. The fox has also taught me to take note of our auras in order to live harmoniously. Sometimes we learn the most from situations when simply observing the habits and innate tendencies of those around us. Although quite the cliché, patience is truly a virtue- this is an inherent quality of the fox that I hope to emulate.  A hunting technique of the fox is to charm her prey and attack in a brisk manner. But before attacking, she becomes fully aware of her strengths and weaknesses in order to successfully catch her prey.

Patient and perceptive, she only attacks when fully confident in herself. Foxes usually adopt what most would call the unorthodox methods of hunting. A fox will sometimes engage in antics and play to entice her prey.  Finally, the fox makes her move which always ends with her satisfied. Her methods of trickery and cunning wit are traits I find most fascinating in my spirit animal.
In preparation of the journey ahead, while still acknowledging my current path of self-discovery, I will always keep the presence of my spiritual “patronus” in mind. Through this pilgrimage of the self I hope to always hold the unique spiritual bond between the natural world and myself. Rather than engaging in the environmental hedonism we have become accustomed to, the appreciation of a spirit animal and the aesthetics of the natural world has become a new doctrine of mine.



Word Count: 2098
Without Quotes: 1906
Peer Reviewers:
Sadie, Joe, Geetsika, Ximena, Charlotte



[1] http://www.fishgap.com/new/fox_totem.htm
[2] Farmer, Steven D. Power Animals. California: Hay House, Inc., 2004, 135
[3] Andrews, Ted. “Animal-speak: The Spiritual and Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small.” in Composition and Reading in World Literature, edited by Professor Bump, 49. Jenn’s Copy & Binding, 2010
[4] Luttichan, Chris. Animal Spirit Guides: Discover Your Power and the Shamanic Path.
[5] Andrews 63
[6] Andrews 63
[7]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j79/Light_Venusaur/Fake%20Cards/Ninetales-2.png
[8] Andrews 63
[9] Luttichan 155
[10] http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/exotic-animals/question-545187/?link=ibaf&imgurl=http://nonagraphics.com/images/Arctic-Fox-00001b.jpg&q=arctic%2Bfox
[11] Audesirk, Teresa. Biology Life On Earth with Physiology. Pearson Prentice Hall Inc: Upper Saddle River, NJ. 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment