Monday, March 21, 2011

Optional DB


As Professor Bump has previously reminded us, “Some of the students in this class are not very Plan II-like”. With that said, I agree with Bat as she says, “I’ve learned a lot this year about my own comfort zones and limitations as a student.” Similarly, our World Lit class has shown my strengths and weaknesses as a ENTJ type and how they affect my learning environment.
Students often put a lot on their plate
Throughout the descriptions for ENTJs, articles explain that we are “natural born leaders”. As glorifying as that felt, it also means ENTJ students can sometimes be stubborn—it’s either their way, or the highway. Especially in this class, we have a predetermined framework of how assignments are graded and how points are awarded. This system is definitely unique in that it is unlike the typical 1-100 point system we are all used to.  This class has taught me patience. It’s not only hard to adapt to a new system, but also excel in the class. Reading Bump’s evaluation of our Typologies, he explains, “ENTJs will approach open-ended tasks with fear, because in their mind, it seems so easy to make a mistake”. Instantly, my first thought was our “Who Are You?” Roadmap. Our first major assignment last semester left me frantic and anxious. Instead of just offering my answer, I wanted to find the right answer. What would give me the best grade? Nonetheless, this approach left me stressed and was inevitably my downfall.
Relaxation helps clear your mind 
But once understanding these shortcomings, I feel like the coursework is more manageable. Meditation is an example of a new learning method I have adopted. Meditating is beneficial because it allows for a brief moment of clarity despite a busy schedule. I often find it hard to focus on just one thing while studying. Taking a few minutes to relax produces a more efficient and less stressful working experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment